On this module students will learn the fundamental knowledge concerning computer security, basic cyber threats and the corresponding detection and defence techniques.
This course will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to cyberspace and cyber security: computer security, web security, operating system security, wireless/network security, mobile security, programming security.
- Concepts and terminology of cyber security: basics of encryption and cryptography, virtual platform, cloud, protocols, hacking, malware, virus, botnets, pentest, information security practice/standards.
- Basic coverage of security software: anti-virus software, packet sniffers, anti-spyware, intrusion detection/protection software, digital forensics software, pentest software.
- Introductory overview of network security: types of networks, network protocols, network security and protection, VPNs, firewall configuration/maintenance, network intrusion and detection systems.
- The human factor in security: authorisation mechanisms, usability issues, risk analysis and control, cyber-ethics, cyber bullying, social media attacks.
This course will start week commencing the 4th July 2022.
You will need to log in weekly to access the course content and undergo your studies.